Skip to Content
Utah Personal Injury Attorneys
Child Support

Park City Child Support Lawyers

Representing Parents Across Summit County & Beyond

In any family law case, Utah courts prioritize the best interests of children. Apart from ensuring their physical and emotional well-being in matters of child custody, courts will also look to a child’s parents to ensure they uphold their legal obligations to provide financial support.

Whether you are a parent filing for divorce, or have a stand-alone case involving financial support, working with an experienced lawyer can make all the difference in your legal journey.

At Dodd & Kuendig, we’ve helped numerous parents and families navigate the legal system while protecting their rights and the best interests of their children. We’re available to personally discuss your case during a consultation.

Have questions about child support and how Dodd & Kuendig can help? Call us at (435) 296-7434 or contact us online. We offer same-day consultations in-person or by phone.

Utah Child Support Cases

Parents have a legal duty to support minor children, and in Utah, that duty persists until a child is 18 or completes high school (whichever is later), or until they are emancipated or parental rights are terminated.

Our legal team has experience helping clients address a range of child support issues, including those involving:

  • Divorce (including military divorce)
  • Paternity and unmarried parents
  • Modifications of child support orders
  • Child support enforcement
  • Temporary orders

Child Support Calculations in Utah

The Utah Child Support Act (Utah Code 78B-12-105) creates a legal presumption that every child needs the support of their parents and that every mother and father must support their children. That includes financial support established by the Child Support Guidelines for:

  • base child support;
  • health care; and
  • childcare expenses.

How Parent Income Plays a Factor

Under state guidelines, child support payments are calculated using the gross monthly income of both parents, and the number of overnights a child spends with each parent. Parents must provide documentation to verify income used in the support calculator (i.e. pay stubs, tax returns, etc.).

Even if a parent does not work, income may still be assigned to the parent (known as “imputed income”) for what they are capable of earning based on their work history, education, and employment opportunities. If there is no recent work history, or a parent’s occupation is unknown, the court may calculate support using the federal minimum wage. No income is imputed if:

  • a parent is disabled and unable to earn income;
  • the reasonable costs of childcare approach or equal the income the custodial parent can earn;
  • a parent is participating in occupational training to establish basic job skills; or
  • a child’s special needs require the custodial parent to remain home.

Overnights & Physical Custody

Physical custody–specifically, the number of overnights a child spends in each parent’s home–will also affect support. Generally, custody is assigned in one of three ways:

  • Joint physical custody, where a child spends at least 111 days in each parent’s home
  • Sole physical custody, where a child spends more than 225 days in one parent’s home
  • Split custody, where there are multiple children and some children live with one parent while some live with the other.

Ensuring accurate parenting and custody information is crucial to calculating an appropriate amount of child support. Our team at Dodd & Kuendig can help parents evaluate their circumstances and ensure your information is complete and accurate.

Continue Reading Read Less

Client Testimonials

Hear What Our Clients Have To Say About Our Law Firm
    "From the moment I walked into your office door you showed such care, compassion and professionalism."

    You always remained positive and extremely diligent with any and all matters concerning the case. In addition as we discussed, though this was not a high $$ nor profile case, you treated me with 100% dedication.

    - A.G.
    "5 stars!"
    There are good teachers and there are great communicators. Roger Dodd is both!
    - J. Gould
    "Great lawyer!"
    He is relentless in the courtroom: a great lawyer and a loyal friend.
    - Bobby Lee Cook
    "Roger and Tricia are two of the best trial lawyers."

    Roger and Tricia are two of the best trial lawyers, teachers and authors in the country. I highly recommend both of them.

    - Shane Henry
    "I highly recommend them!"

    Endorsed without hesitation.

    - Kyle Stauffer
    "Highly recommend them."
    Very helpful, informative and polite.
    - Blake Kofoed

Our Proven Child Support Lawyers on Your Side

Dodd & Kuendig has been trusted by clients throughout Park City and the state of Utah, as well as fellow attorneys who refer complex cases to our talented team. If you have questions about a child support matter, including support proceedings that are part of a divorce or another family law case, we encourage you to contact us for a personalized consultation.

We are available at (435) 296-7434 to answer your questions about child support cases. Call us to schedule a free consultation

The Three Pillars of Our Practice

Working With Dodd & Kuendig
  • Passion
    With every case we take on, we're personally invested in making sure our clients are being taken care of. We're here for our clients both inside and outside of the courtroom.
  • Experience
    We've handled tens of thousands of cases across a variety of practice areas and put that experience towards providing you with unbiased legal advice and guidance.
  • Understanding
    We know how difficult it can be to process things following an accident. During our initial consultation, our goal is to really help uncover the specifics of your case and help you and your family begin moving forward.
  • NTL Top 100
  • Utah State Bar
  • Utah Legal Elite
  • Martindale Logo
  • Best Lawyers Logo
  • Super Lawyers
    We're Here When You're Ready Get Started With A Free Consultation
    Call Us Today (435) 296-7434
    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • Please enter your phone number.
      This isn't a valid phone number.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
    • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy